Lump #1: HEALTH CARE REFORM SELL OUT BRIGADE
The following senators sold their votes for this healthcare crapheap for money and special deals. They should be charged with a crime. Getting money and concessions for their states costs the rest of us more money.
1. Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.), sold her health care reform vote for $300 million.
2. Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) sold his vote for $100 million.
3. Sen. Chris Dodd (D-CT.) sold his vote for $100 million.
4. Sen. Carl Levin (D-MI) exempted his state’s insurance companies from a new $7 billion dollar tax.
5. Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-VT) got a $10 billion grant for community health centers that could perform abortions.
6. Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) got an increase in Medicare payments to hospitals in his state.
7. Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) got money for his state’s health care system.
8. Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) got concessions for insurance companies in his state.
9. Pennsylvania, New York and Florida got protections for their Medicare Advantage.
10. Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming got “FrontierFreebies” an increase in Medicare Payments to rural hospitals and doctors.
11. Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-MD) said “I didn’t get the money for my state. I was too stupid.”
Here’s a great article with in-depth details on exactly who got what:
Please also note there’s language in the bill that binds future Congresses from changing it. See this write up for further details: http://blog.heritage.org/2009/12/23/beyond-the-constitution-the-healthcare-bill-violates-the-rule-of-law/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Morning%2BBell
And, here’s one of the major Democrats pushing for the legislation, Max Baucus, apparently drunk on the Senate floor while debating it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Y9X5ggxzA&feature=player_embedded
In the end, it sure seems clear to me that this bill has nothing to do with reforming healthcare (the left and the right are furious about it), and everything to do with putting an additional 1/6 of our economy under the control of the government (in addition to the financial services sector and auto manufacturing). Speaking of financial services, please see coal lump #2 below:
Lump #2: Surprise Gift from Tax Cheat Tim Geithner!
The Treasury announced Thursday it was removing the caps that limited the amount of available capital to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to $200 billion each.
Unlimited access to bailout funds through 2012 was “necessary for preserving the continued strength and stability of the mortgage market,” the Treasury said.
Fanny and Freddie have essentially been given a blank check. The new package that will also pay Fannie Chief Executive Officer Michael Williams and Freddie CEO Charles Haldeman Jr. as much as $6 million a year, including bonuses. Remember that “Wall Street Fat-Cat” remark Obama made in his scolding speeches about the greedy financial services sector? Clearly a bunch of baloney.
More info on this story here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126168307200704747.html
Lump # 3: International Police Operating in US Now Exempt From Our Laws
On 12.17, President Obama issued an executive order removing the Reagan limitations. That is, Interpol’s property and assets are no longer subject to search and confiscation, and its archives are now considered inviolable. This international police force (whose U.S. headquarters is in the Justice Department in Washington) will be unrestrained by the U.S. Constitution and American law while it operates in the United States and affects both Americans and American interests outside the United States.
Why would we elevate an international police force above American law? Why would we immunize an international police force from the limitations that constrain the FBI and other American law-enforcement agencies? Why is it suddenly necessary to have, within the Justice Department, a repository for stashing government files which, therefore, will be beyond the ability of Congress, American law-enforcement, the media, and the American people to scrutinize?
Remember, Obama has said in several speeches he wants a civilian national security force as large, and as well funded, as the military. I guess an international police force operating in America is close enough for him.
So while the Obama’s decided once again to skip church services (for Christmas), take heart that “gift giving” is still an integral part of their holiday celebration.
One Last Thing…
While our elected employees are running around enacting legislation and executive orders that do more harm than good to we average citizens, please review the attached link to see how terrible they also are at protecting the homeland: http://blog.heritage.org/2009/12/28/morning-bell-the-system-failed/